Here are 10 interesting facts about Valentine’s Day that you may not know about:

  1. On average, men spend double the amount of money on Valentine’s Day gifts than women spend. The average amount a man spends is $130.
  2. There are approximately 50 million roses given on Valentine’s Day around the world.
  3. Women tend to buy approximately 85 percent of all the Valentine’s Day cards sold.
  4. Valentine’s Day is the second most popular day of the year for sending cards, second only to Christmas.
  5. Approximately 27 percent of those who buy flowers on Valentine’s Day are women. The other 73 percent are men
  6. Approximately 15 percent of women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
  7. At least 9 million people buy their pets a gift on Valentine’s Day.
  8. On Valentine’s Day every year, there are at least 36 million heart shape boxes of chocolates sold.
  9. The phrase to “wear your heart on your sleeve” has historical meaning. In the middle ages, young people would draw the name of their valentine from a bowl. They then had to wear the name on their sleeve for one week.
  10. Every Valentine’s Day, the Italian city of Verona receives approximately 1,000 letters that have been addressed to Juliet. This is where Romeo and Juliet, the young lovers in Shakespeare’s play, lived.


Filed under: kissmornings, valentines, valentines day